Monday, April 20, 2020

Social Media Online Footprint (Audit)

As a second-year college student in 2020, I have a large online footprint. Reflecting on all of the social media platforms I have an account on, I can count how many accounts I have on more than one hand. Ranging from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, Spotify, and way more, it is eye-opening actually counting how many platforms I have an account on. Along with these accounts, I also have a website for a digital portfolio.



What I put on each of these platforms drastically differ. For Facebook, I am more professional, yet not as professional as I am on my LinkedIn account. For Twitter, I incorporate content that is more informal, but not as informal as I would put on Snapchat that I am “friends” with. Then with Instagram, it depends on the post in regard to what I put on them. Sometimes I can interact with friends on it being more informal or I can repost something on my “Instagram Story” to positively promote something such as my sorority or an organization I am involved with. Lastly, with Pinterest, this platform I use for inspiration, therefore I am pinning more light-hearted things.

For a visitor first gleaning at any of my social media accounts, they would instantly learn some very demographic information about me. For instance, they would easily learn that I am from Rhode Island, but go to a university in North Carolina. Depending on the platform, they would learn that I am involved in Phi Mu Fraternity in the Gamma Zeta chapter. However, depending on how much someone looks at any of my social media accounts, they can learn who my closest friends are, my dialect regarding if I am more formal or informal, and get a look into my personality.

Something that has been the center of discussion regarding social media has been if it makes people lonely, depressed, or isolated. My opinion? I think that it does, but it depends on the person. For someone that has a low self-esteem, it definitely can be isolating especially on Instagram. Seeing someone that is “living their best life,” it can be isolating and maybe even depressing, When self-comparison is involved, I believe that all of these feelings can be heavily involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment